Friday, July 19, 2013

Mexican Red Rice Recipe

We live in Northern California, my family (wife's side) lives in Southern CA, and my husbands family lives in Ontario Canada. Anytime we visit either place, we try to get our moms to teach us their homemade recipes. Several weeks ago, we visited Southern CA and I asked my mom to teach me how to make the rice. I've tried it on my own before, and for some reason it never comes out. So this time I watched closely. 
For those of you who would like to make it, here are the ingredients and steps.

 As a reminder, my mom does not measure any of the ingredients. I tried to measure them before she used them, and she was getting frustrated hahaha.

Mahatma Rice
 (measurements on the package can be used for this recipe)
Vegetable Oil
Diced Onions
Salt and Pepper
Small Can of Tomato Sauce
Water
Knorr Chicken or Tomato Flavored Bouillon (powder or a square of bouillon)

First you have to toast the rice in a little bit of oil (she was also frying some chicken on the other pan). Heat some oil and add the rice. 


Seems like a lot of oil, but your going to take the excess out.

After the rice is a little browned, add the chopped/diced onions.


Tilt the pan and take out the excess oil.


Add in the can of tomato sauce.


 After about 3 minutes, add in the water, just enough to cover above the rice.


Add in some Knorr Chicken Flavored Bouillon and Tomato powder. She uses both kinds, but you can choose just one. Slowly mix it in.


My mom, Love Her!


Bring to a boil, and reduce hit and cover. 


After about 15-20 minutes it's done!
I had already grabbed some, hence the missing section on the right :)


Hope you enjoyed this recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...