Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pork Ribs: Honey, Ginger, and Orange

I normally go grocery shopping on Monday for all the meals I'm going to cook for the week. This time around I had to get rid of some ingredients. We hate throwing out food, so I went onto Pinterest to find a recipe.
I had some oranges and some sliced ginger on hand, and that's exactly what I typed in "orange and ginger recipes". Tons of stuff came up, including this recipe. Our little guy loves ribs, so I thought this would be perfect. 
I stopped at the store and picked up some pork ribs.

Now let me tell you in advance, anytime I'm doing someone else's recipe, most of the time it doesn't look the same, which means the taste might be different as well. But, at least I tried it right? Who knows, mine might just taste better, hehehe!

The ingredients on their website are slightly different from mine. They used blood oranges, I used regular oranges. They used ginger root, used already sliced up ginger in the jar. I didn't add the chili flakes because it would be to spicy for our little guy.

3-4 Servings 30-40 minutes
Ingredients

2 1/5 pounds of pork ribs 
3 oranges zested and squeezed 
(squeeze out the juice, and zest them for the sauce)
2 TB of chopped ginger
2 TB of honey
Salt and pepper to season
1 TB of dried chili flakes (optional)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit

Place a piece of parchment paper on the tray, place the ribs on there and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Put them in the oven, and cook them for 30 minutes.



While the ribs are cooking you can make the sauce in the meantime. I had a little bit of trouble with this step, but it turned out good.

Here is the chopped up ginger and the orange zest.


In a pan/sauce pot put in the orange juice and bring to a boil. Bring down to low heat to a simmer until the liquid reduces and throw in the ginger, orange zest, and honey.



It's supposed to thicken up and get sticky, mine didn't, so I added more honey :)
 You can also add the red chili flakes if your using them.

I then transferred the sauce to the pan so I can toss and coat the ribs
It looks a little watery right?


By the way, you can do the whole sauce in the pan if you'd like (less dishes to wash in the end).
It still didn't look like the websites picture, but I continued.

Once the ribs were done (cooked and crispy), I placed them in the pan with very low heat. 



 Got a spoon and spooned the sauce on both sides. 
At this point the sauce did thicken, and it looked a little better.
I took out a couple for our son, and I then added the chili flakes, I like spiciness.


I paired the ribs with some broccoli and that's it. The taste was good, but I think I over cooked the ribs just a little.


I had to add some bbq sauce to our little guy's ribs because to him ribs don't come with out bbq sauce.

I hope you try this recipe and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...