Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Quinoa Rice and Shrimp Mole Tacos

I am far from being a good cook. Sometimes I will follow recipes to the "t", and sometimes I wing it. Most of the times I wing it.

When I am not following a recipe, I eyeball all my measurements. For right now, it's only my husband, our 4 1/2 yr old son, and me, which means I have to make a small batch, and not all recipes indicate that it serves 2 1/2 people!

I love my mom's cooking, and she cooks authentic Mexican food from Arandas, Jalisco Mexico. I'm more like her when it comes to cooking, no measuring required. 

The only difference between her cooking and mine is that she normally cooks for minimum 5 people on a daily basis. There's always family there and she loves to feed them.

One thing we do have in common is that we try to use what ever food we have on hand and make something out of it. Sometimes it's tasty and sometimes it's not.

My mom laughed when I told her I was making mole tacos. She asked me how I was going to make the mole, and I told her that I bought a jar, and she quickly said that's not mole. 
Her mole recipe is delicious and it's made from scratch. Unless she's with me walking me through every step, I definitely can not make it on my own.

I'm sure there's a lot of you out there like me, so I hope you enjoy this meal if you try it.

Here's me "winging" (not a word lol) up a meal!

These are my ingredients that I used:

I thawed out about half a bag of small peeled and deveined shrimp.


I first grabbed the Dona Maria Mole paste (careful, trying to open the jar is a bit oily and messy). I scooped 2 1/2 spoonful of paste (normal spoon size).  I started to pour in the chicken broth until it got a smooth consistently. Bring it to a boil.


I then cooked the quinoa rice according to the package directions.


Sprinkled salt and pepper on the shrimp, sprayed the pan with pam olive oil, and then sautéed the shrimp. 


Chopped up the shrimp and some oranges for a side fruit.



Warmed up the tortillas, placed the shrimp, some mole, and sprinkled the cheese on.


Easy enough right? A little healthy and a little Mexican all in one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...