Sunday, August 18, 2013

Roasted Poblano Chile and Tomato Salsa

One of my favorite snacks to have is chips and salsa. If were out at a restaurant, I will munch on them like theres no tomorrow! I love the spiciness of the salsa and the saltiness of the chips. 

Today I have a super quick recipe that needs only 6 ingredients. This is my sister's recipe and I just crave it. I love this type because one of my favorite Mexican dishes is Chiles Rellenos (Stuffed Peppers), which they use Poblano Chiles to make.

Ingredients:
5 poblano chiles 
7 tomatos
1 clove of garlic
1 green jalapeño
salt and pepper
(1-2 plastic bags)

 I love salsa, and I make quite a big batch. So if you feel that the quantity is too much then do for example 2 tomatoes to 1 poblano chile.

Helpful Tips:
It's kind of a hit and miss with the spiciness of the chiles. Sometimes if you just smell them, they smell spicy. Not sure if that makes sense lol
If you like salsa just not a spicy salsa, then I would suggest de-seeding all the chiles, since the seeds is what makes them spicy.
You can also were some gloves, because you will be taken the skin off the tomatoes and chiles, and it could be hot.

Let's began:
The trick of the recipe is to roast/blister your chili poblanos, tomatos, and jalapeño. I've put them on my small toaster oven under the broiler setting, and I have also put them on top of the stove over an open fire. Today, I used my comal to roast them. It's easier to control how much they roast, you just need to keep turning them, and less of a risk of burning yourself over an open fire.

First I started with the poblano chiles


Keep turning them until they get roasted/charred, then put them in a bag and cover them. This will "sweat" them out and it will be easy to remove the skin.


While I de skinned the the poblano peppers, I roasted the tomatos



I had an already cut tomato, so I just added that in the mix.



Once they were done, I put them in the bag to "sweat".


The tomato skin easily came off.


Blender time.
I added some tomatos on the bottom, some poblano chiles, couple tomatoes on top, and the garlic clove. I didn't put all of the ingredients, cause they didn't fit in there, so I did two batches.


Blend/Pulse until you get the consistency that you want. I like my salsa chunky. Transfer it to a bowl and add the salt and pepper to taste, and your DONE!


I added some cilantro for decoration, but you can easily add cilantro to the recipe.

What's your favorite salsa recipe?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...