Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Back to Cooking!!!

My husband and I enjoy cooking. Ever since we moved out to Perris, my daily comute to work is now 3 hours daily. So, by the time I pick up my son from my mom's I dont get home till 7pm. Which has delayed my cooking during the week a lot, and I end up having a frozen dinner or something that my mom has packed up for me. Not too bad, because my husband travels a lot, so it's mostly the baby and I, but I still miss cooking.
I was talking to my friend Jammie, and she informed me that she plans her meals for the week on the weekend, does the grocery shopping, and prepares the meals for when she's ready to cook them. It's not only cheaper (your not buying groceries that you wont be using), fast, and convenient. So, that has inspired me to start planning my meals, and any left over from the night, I can take to lunch for the next day (saving more money).
I came across this great blog/website www.livinglocurto.com/weekly-meal-plans/, Not only does Amy provide great meals from her own kitchen, but her blog readers, and her friends, so theirs a variatey of meals that you will love. She also provides a pdf file that includes the meals for the week, photos, and a grocery list. I love it.
This is the first meal that i will be preparing


Spicy Turkey Crock Pot Lasagna
I hope mine looks as good as this one, and I have never done Lasagna in a crock pot.....I'm scared.
Here is the recipe, and it's originally from parents.com and directions if you would like to try it out, come back and leave me a comment when your done.




Ingredients:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
15 oz. container ricotta
1 package of shredded Italian-blend cheese
 – 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
fresh ground pepper
12 lasagna noodles, uncooked and broken in half
1 large jar (26 ounces) chunky pasta sauce (your favorite kind)
1 cup water

Directions

Cook turkey in a pan. Season with Italian seasonings, salt and pepper flakes.
Mix ricotta, cheese blend and spinach in a bowl. Add a few pinches of salt and fresh ground pepper.
In a crock-pot, put a spoonful of pasta sauce to coat the bottom of the pot, then add a layer of the noodles.
Add half the meat mixture over noodles. Pour on half the pasta sauce and half the water. Spread half the cheese mixture on top. Repeat layers.
Cover slow cooker; cook on low heat 4-1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...